📝Who is Hashtag Open (#open) for?
The Hashtag Open app is for pretty much anyone who is into the polyamorous lifestyle, or curious about it. Users can sign up as a couple or by themselves to find others who are in open marriages/relationships. Who is the Hashtag Open app
for? Those in monogamous relationships or people who get jealous easily.
If you’re up for exploring, it’ll be perfect for you.
Is Hashtag Open legit?
The Hashtag Open dating app is very legit. Just how legit do you ask? Well not only are there IRL events where you can meet people outside the app, BUT the Hashtag open dating app was also featured by Women's Health! Take
When poking around on the site, I came across something that says they don’t accept VOIP numbers to reduce the amount of spam/fake profiles signing up. This is also something I haven’t seen before and makes me feel like they take security seriously.
The tl;dr on Hashtag Open app
The main point of this Hashtag Open review is to spill the tea on all things #Open. Here are some juicy tidbits to wet your appetite:
What are Sparks?
These are an add-on that can be purchased within the app. Sparks help get your profile viewed more and you instantly get matched if another user likes your profile. Sparks are purchased in packs of 3s.
How to cancel #Open app:
you can cancel the Hashtag Open app pretty easily whether you're an Android or iOS user. Here's how to cancel your membership from either device.
How to cancel Supporting membership from iOS:
- Open the settings app on the device.
- Click on your name.
- Tap on "Subscriptions" - if this isn't an option, then go to "iTunes & App Store", look for your Apple ID and click on it, tap on "View Apple ID" sign in, and scroll down til’ you get to Subscriptions - click.
- Click on the supporting membership subscription.
- Hit "Cancel Subscription.”
How to cancel Supporting membership from Android:
- Open the Google Play Store on your device.
- Tap on the 3 horizontal menu lines and click on "Subscriptions.”
- Click on supporting membership subscription.
- Hit "Cancel Subscription.”
Is #open app free?
Yep, there’s a free version to use if you wanna go exploring.
What's "The Grid"?
The grid is the collection of boxes that shows you other members' pics. If you're a non-paying member, you can still view profiles in the grid, but it's done one by one. People who pay will see all of the pictures in the grid without restrictions.
Is there a Hashtag Open dating app?
Not only is there a Hashtag Open dating app, but it's available to both iOS and Android users. As of now, there is no desktop version - womp womp - but does anyone really care…?
Signing up for #open app
This signup process is pretty short since Hashtag Open combines several questions onto one page - hooray for simplicity and efficiency!
Hashtag Open cuts straight to the chase by asking me for my number - I love how forward this app is! They also provide a cute lil greeting which I had to share.
I was given a sweet welcoming memo and was encouraged to be transparent with preferences, boundaries, and hashtags in order to find my ultimate match.
Next I choose how spicy I want my dating life to be! I like the last option of being able to search solo or with a partner (if I HAD one!!)
The Hashtagopen dating app does a great job with multi-tasking. I can upload pics and answer qs about myself on the same page!
Those with a * mean I’m required to answer. I couldn't fit all the questions into my screenshot, so here's what they were:
- Display name*
- Orientation (there's a TON of options!)*
- Gender identity (again - lots of choices here)*
- Show me with (choices are W, M, or X)
- Solo profile user name*
- About me
- Relationship status
- Relationship type
- Social media (FB, Insta, X)
I then got a pop-up in the preference tab letting me know to use hashtags when answering these questions. This is probably the most fun I've had when answering a dating app question!
I love that this app has me set boundaries and describe what my hard limits are. This makes me feel safer knowing that the dating app cares.
Here's where I can add a partnered profile (IF I HAD ONE!) and then I'm finished. Hooray!
After I tap on the "finished" button, I'm given a list of rules that spell out NICE, and it's a really nice refresher course. NICE is a cute reminder to respect yourself and others while being open-minded at the same time.
Next, I got this Safety message. Sooo I did find this interesting…the Hashtag Open dating app warns me to be careful about strangers, but they don't run background checks to protect their users. Sounds a little counterproductive to me, but okay.
Here's a sneak peak of the main feed! I'm given my first potential match where I can pass or like their pic. It's pretty straightforward which I appreciate, and the profiles are bright and interesting.
What is searching and matching like on the Hashtag Open app?
Like most swiping-based apps, I couldn't search for members. The only thing I could really do was switch up my info in the preferences and boundaries tabs to attract different results. My tip is to go #crazy with the hashtags under the preference tab to attract as many compatible people as possible.
Here are some search filters I can play around with under the boundaries/prefs tabs:
- Who I'm looking for: W, M, or X.
- If they're solo, partnered, or both.
- Hard limits.
- What I'm Open to.
- What I'm looking for.
- What my interests are.
Is the Hashtag Open Dating app free?
The Hashtag Open app is free to download and use! I enjoyed exploring the free version of the app, but was also happy to know that there is a supporting membership I could buy.
Free vs. paid subscription for the Hashtag Open app
I was surprised with how much I could do with the free version. The cost for the paid subscription is pretty affordable and had me wondering if it's worth a shot. This part of my Hashtag Open dating app review is to help add clarity and shed light on what's included in both the free and paid subscriptions.
Hashtag Open free features
There's a lot I could do just by downloading the app. I didn't need to part with any $$ to do these things:
- Try out the Sparks feature.
- Set my boundaries and preferences.
- Create a free profile.
- Like or pass on users in the Grid.
- Rewind someone I passed on by accident.
- Group chats!
Paid memberships for #open app (Supporting and Spark packs)
Hashtag Open did a great job at piquing my curiosity - at least when it comes to the idea of paying for a good time. The paid tier is extremely reasonable at $9.99/per month and comes with:
- Full access to the grid - instead of seeing pics one at a time.
- Send 15 sparks a month.
- See who likes me.
- I also have the option to buy 3 sparks on a one-time basis for $1.99.
What sets the Hashtag Open app apart from others?
There are a few different features that set the Hashtag Open app apart from other dating apps I've seen. Here's what they included:
- A safe, non-judging environment for those in non-monogamous relationships.
- Uses #s as a way of expressing yourself.
- A dating app for everyone - you can look for a makeout buddy, a coffeehouse lover, or a couple who's DTF.
- I can choose how much or little I want to share with others.
- They’re clear and open about their mission, and it sounds honest.
- Group chats! This isn’t the norm and I loved it.
- They proudly display their team and ambassadors on the site.
- Doesn’t accept sign-ups from VOIP numbers to reduce spam.
Pros and cons of #Open dating app
There are a lot of things to love with the Hashtag Open dating app. But what good would my Hashtag Open app review be if it didn't mention the not-so-good? This is me…spilling the tea…☕
What I liked about the Hashtag Open dating app
The Hashtag open app is an extremely inclusive app that celebrates everyone. Here's what else I liked about the dating app:
- High-quality profiles.
- Extremely easy to use.
- Speedy signup process.
- Being given 3 sparks when I first signed up - this was a cute gesture.
- Tons of guides and info on safe sex, security, playing nice, etc.
- Their “no VOIP” stance.
What I didn't like so much about the Hashtag Open dating app:
There wasn't much not to like about the # Open app, TBH, but if I HAD to pick, it would be these:
- Some Hashtag Open reviews commented on the lack of users in their area.
- You can't filter by distance - this was the biggest bummer for me.
- I read several Hashtag Open reviews that mentioned their app froze when switching between solo and partner modes, so curious if they’re having scaling issues?
So, final thoughts for my Hashtag Open dating review?
This was honestly one of my fave apps! I loved how inclusive it was, and it brought everything to the table - communication, kinkiness, safety! I tried out some group chats which were definitely new and fun for me, and even set up a little coffee meeting. I’m still exploring the app, so I’ll have to report back in a few weeks and let you know how it goes.
I totally recommend this app if you're looking for something outside the box… just prepare to drive a bit since you can't filter by distance…toodles!